Southwest Scramble [RECIPE]
March 15, 2017 1 Comment
Are you tired of the same breakfast day after day? Try our Southwest Scramble! It’s chock full of fresh veggies, black beans for extra protein and fiber, and a touch of jalapeno for a bit of heat. Serve it in warmed tortillas, or forget the added carbs and plate it with a bit of sausage and fresh fruit. Your taste buds will love it, your partner will crave it, and your body will thank you for starting the day with a healthy choice.
PREP: 10 minutes
COOK: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon jalapenos, diced
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 cup Mexican cheese blend
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Add onion, peppers and beans to skillet and cook until softened and onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir; cook about 1 minute.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet and let it set, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Be careful not to let the eggs get too dry. Once they are almost cooked through, sprinkle cheese over top, cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and serve!
TIPS: You may want to garnish this with chopped fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, a dollop of sour cream or a dose of salsa for added flavor.
YIELDS: 2 servings