Smoked Sausages with Herb Egg Noodles [RECIPE]
December 1, 2016 1 Comment
Long, busy days don’t always make it easy to get dinner on the table. Sometimes you simply want to do something fast and easy to feed your family. Rather than pull through a drive through at a fast food restaurant, assemble this tasty, easy meal instead. Serve it with steamed vegetables or a crisp green salad for a complete meal.
PREP: 10 minutes
COOK: 30 minutes
- 1 pound smoked Polska sausage
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound dried egg noodles
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teapoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, bring 1 quart of water to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium. Place sausage in pan and simmer for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to the water and boil pasta for 2 minutes less than package directions; drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Mix in reserved cooking water, one cup of cheese, lemon juice and zest, parsley, butter, olive oil and pepper flakes. Divide pasta among four dishes, and garnish with cheese.
- Remove sausage from pan and cut into 12 equal pieces. Place 3 pieces of meat on each plate alongside noodles; serve.
YIELDS: 4 servings
NOTE: This recipe is a riff on one of my favorites from Lucinda Scala Quinn’s book Mad Hungry Family: 120 Essential Recipes to Feed the Whole Crew from Artisan Books, ©2016.
Watch for my review of Mad Hungry Family coming soon.