Butternut Squash and Roasted-Garlic Bisque
November 2, 2011 Leave a comment
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub cut surfaces of garlic with oil. Put halves back together to reassemble heads. Wrap each tightly in foil; bake until tender; about 40 minutes. Cool garlic in foil.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; sauté until onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unwrap garlic. Squeeze from skin into small bowl. Discard skin. Mash garlic with fork until smooth.
- Stir garlic into soup. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Stir in 1/2 cup cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer soup to tureen. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sage.
YIELDS: 12 servings
© 2011 Jadeworks Entertainment. All rights reserved.