Baked Chicken with Honey-Dijon Mustard Glaze [RECIPE]
February 24, 2015 2 Comments
In an effort to eat healthier, we have cut down on our intake of red meat, which means that we’ve been eating a lot more poultry. We joke that we’ve been eating so many birds, we may soon start to cluck! Needless to say, we are always looking for new ways to prepare chicken. This recipe is easy and flexible as you can adjust it based on taste preferences and ingredients on hand.
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried herbs (we used 1/2 teaspoon each of basil, marjoram, oregano, and parsley)
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Brine poultry for an hour, then rinse and pat dry.
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs. Marinate in refrigerator for at least an hour, or up to a day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, place chicken skin side down.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and turn skin side up. Bake for 10 more minutes or until a meat thermometer stuck in meat reads 180°F.
- To make the glaze, add mustard, honey, and oil in a bowl in that order, whisk, add salt and pepper, whisk some more. Apply glaze with spoon and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Cut 1/4-inch deep slits in meat before marinating. This allows flavors to really absorb into the chicken and makes for a tastier dish.
Yield: 4 servings.