August 24, 2011 1 Comment
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 5 minutes
- 2 ½ pounds fresh spinach, washed, water still clinging to the leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Steam the spinach in a large pot for 2 to 4 minutes, until the leaves have all collapsed. The water clinging to the leaves will be enough to cook it. Drain, cool, and squeeze out the liquid in a strainer. Coarsely chop the spinach.
- To make the béchamel, heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and then melt the butter and sauté the onions until transparent. Whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk until fully incorporated and simmer for 30 seconds. Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Fold in the spinach and serve immediately.
TIP: The spinach can be steamed in advanced and folded in with the béchamel at the last minute, just to heat it through.
YIELDS: 6 servings
© 2011 Jadeworks Entertainment. All rights reserved.