Spicy Homemade Pickles [RECIPE]
August 23, 2016 2 Comments
Why purchase ready-made pickles at the grocer when they are so easy to make yourself? These are crisp, delicious and packed with flavor. If you’re craving a tart dill pickle, pass on this recipe, as these come out more closely resembling a sweeter (but spicier) bread and butter pickle. However, I promise if you give these babies a chance, you might begin to wonder if you’re pregnant, because you may just develop a pickle addiction. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, vinegar, and sugar and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add coriander seed, mustard seed, Chinese five spice, black peppercorns, red pepper flakes and salt.
- While the vinegar mixture cools for about 15 minutes, slice cucumbers and onion into a large bowl. Add the vinegar mixture, covering the cucumber and onion slices. (The vinegar mixture will soften the vegetables, so be patient and keep tossing them with the liquid in the bowl until everything is submerged.) Let cool and store in a clean lidded glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
YIELDS: 12 servings
©2016 Jadeworks Entertainment.