Braised Cabbage with Apple and Onion [RECIPE]
February 28, 2016 Leave a comment
I’m not someone who usually craves cabbage on his plate, but this dish is so delicious, even I went back for seconds. The apples and cider vinegar give this side a slightly sweet flavor and make this one vegetable you’ll want to make time and again. It especially pairs well with pork dishes like my Apricot-Glazed Pork Tenderloin or a plate of Hoppin’ John.
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 24 to 31 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 head cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar, sugar, and water; stir. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season with additional salt, pepper and sugar to taste; serve with a slotted spoon to leave extra moisture in pot.
YIELDS: 8 to 10 servings
© 2016 Jadeworks Entertainment