Kids love to be included in family activities and taught how to do new things. Not only are they usually quick learners, but they oftentimes surprise us with their natural talent. On a recent trip down South to visit family, we taught our youngest niece, Esperanza, 10, how to make this yummy cake. She did a spectacular job, and we were so proud of her effort. In fact, she liked it so much that she promised to make it for us again when we come for another visit!
As the name indicates, our Simply Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream and Berries is easy enough even a novice in the kitchen can prepare it! Heather taught our youngest niece, Esperanza, 10, to prepare this tasty treat on a recent trip to down South.
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 35 to 40 minutes
- 2 Simply Chocolate Cakes, baked in 2 8-inch round cake pans
- 2 pints heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Bake cakes and cool completely.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, then add the sugar and vanilla, and whip again until just stiffened. Do not over mix!
- Slice the top off 1 cake round to make a flat surface. Spread bottom cake round with a thick layer of whipped cream. Top with half the strawberries. Top with the other cake round and spread with another thick layer of whipped cream. Top with remaining strawberries.
- Slice and serve with any extra whipped cream and berries on the side.
YIELDS: 1 two-layer cake, about 8 servings
© 2011 Jadeworks Entertainment. All rights reserved.