Stacked Turkey Enchiladas [RECIPE]
November 29, 2016 1 Comment
Roast turkey is one of our favorite meals, but every time we cook one we inevitably have enough to live off of for a week. To vary up your menu and not waste all the proceeds from a big gobbler, try making up a batch of our stacked turkey enchiladas. Flavorful and delicious, it puts all that leftover poultry to good use and will keep a thankful grin on your family’s faces because they won’t be forking down repeats of the same old leftovers.
PREP: 10 minutes
COOK: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 1/2 large white onions, sliced, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 3.8-ounce can sliced olives, drained
- 12 corn tortillas, lightly charred on stove top or in a dry cast iron pan
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high. Add the jalapeño, 2/3 of the onion, and the cumin; cook, tossing often, until the onion is softened. Remove from heat. Mix in the turkey, salt, and pepper.
- Put 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Layer six tortillas in the bottom of the pan. Top with half the onion and turkey mixture, half the olives, 1 cup of enchilada sauce, and half of the cheese. Add remaining tortillas, onion and turkey mixture, olives, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve topped with cilantro, remaining onion and sour cream, if desired.
TIP: These enchiladas can be prepared, frozen and reheated. To do so, bake the enchiladas, leaving off the garnishes. Cool completely, then tightly wrap the dish in plastic wrap and foil and freeze. To reheat, bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until warmed through and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes more. Top with garnishes and serve.
YIELD: 6 servings