Jathan’s Lip-Smackin’, Belly-Fillin’ Split Pea Soup
August 11, 2011 2 Comments
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 3 hours
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce bag dried split peas (about 2 cups), rinsed
- 2 large or 3 medium smoked ham shanks
- 4 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté onion in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until peas are tender and soup has thickened. Discard bay leaves. Remove ham shanks and set aside until cool. Cube meat and return to pot. Stir thoroughly and serve.
TIP: Be sure to rinse the split peas and discard any shriveled peas or bits of dirt before they are added to the soup.
YIELDS: 8 servings
© 2011 Jadeworks Entertainment